Story of a train doctor

Geoff Moss attended Fort Street Boys High school in Petersham, and on leaving was granted a cadetship with the New South Wales Railways, studying part time towards a Diploma of Electrical Engineering at Sydney Technical College. During this period Geoff took part in extensive training in workshops, powerhouses, substations and within the Mechanical Branch design office. His career in Sydney's electric trains began in 1952 at the Electric Car Workshops in Chullora before moving to the Electric Train Running Section. Except where he remained until 1978.

Geoff was in charge of the running of electric trams from April 1977 to July 1986. After a further year as Project Manager of Workshop Integration, he resigned aged 57. Today Geoff continues to operate as the Director of Historic Electric Traction, a group charged with managing the preservation of the Railway's suburban and interurban carriage collection as well as continuing his volunteer role as an Australian Railway Historical Society NSW Division Railway Research Officer. Geoff provided many of the stories and background to the trains being stores and restored in the Paint Shop in North Eveleigh.