Chief Mechanical Engineer's Office completed.
Eveleigh Railway Workshops complex at Redfern is completed.
The Railway Institute is set up in the north-east corner of the original Sydney yard.
Railway and Tramway Institute is launched, providing internal training and a continuous supply of skilled workers.
McDonaldtown Gasworks commences operations. The gasworks produce gas for the lighting of railway carriages and the Eveleigh Railway Workshops until 1958.
On 23 December electric trams replace steam trams in Sydney.
A Royal Commission recommends locomotive construction at Eveleigh Railway Workshops to counteract inadequate rolling stock supply and calls for local manufacturing for the good of the community.
The 15 March marks the opening of Ultimo Power station, owned by the Railway and Tramway Department it makes electric power available to the workshop.
With commissioning of the New Locomotive Workshop (now National Innovation Centre), Eveleigh commences manufacturing of steam locomotives.
Circa 1912 the Communications Equipment Workshop is completed at North Eveleigh.