The first Redfern Station opens, on Cleveland paddocks. It is the first station in Sydney and includes the first Sydney railway workshops, called Redfern Railway Yard.
Sydney’s second terminus, also called Redfern Station, opens in the same location as the first Redfern Station.
Following the establishment of the rail line in 1855, and the construction of Eveleigh Railway Workshops from 1875, Redfern was heavily subdivided and developed to provide workers’ housing.
Resumption of Eveleigh Railway Workshops site (Chisholm's Estate) commences.
The first Eveleigh Station (sometimes described as Eveleigh Platform) opens approximately 1.3 km west of the original terminus and in the approximate location of the current Illawarra train dive.
Parliament agrees on a price for Chisholm’s Estate of £100,000.
A temporary tramline is built from Redfern Street, along Elizabeth Street to Hunter Street for the Garden Palace International Exhibition. The steam tram begins running.
The Chisholm Estate is exchanged and made available for railway purposes.
Parliament agrees the £250,000 cost for Eveleigh Railway Workshops construction.
Redfern Railway Terminus becomes the first place in Sydney permanently lit by electricity.