Status message

Locating you...×

Like a living thing

Browse by

The Davy Press

Silent, hulking and muscular looms the Davy Press - brooding centrepiece of the Blacksmiths Shops. Installed in 1922, the Davy took the brunt of heavy forging work at Eveleigh.

Keep them running

The Chief Mechanical Engineers (CME) branch provided all of the rolling stock, carriages, wagons and locomotives. Steam locomotives were vital to railway operations, and underwent maintenance and improvement between trips.

Spring into life

The smooth operation of the railways relied upon the manufacture of springs which were utilised in every carriage and wagon.

Alchemy

Surrounding the Davy Press, remain the steam hammers, forges and tools of the blacksmith’s trade - grinders, blowers and a great tangle of steam pipes, electric shears, cranes, lathes, anvils, hammers and tongs which produced a maelstrom of smoke, sparks and racket whilst in the throes of Eveleigh's iron alchemy.
  • 1884

    The Triple-domed Eveleigh Running Sheds are completed.

  • 1887

    The Blacksmith's Shop is erected.

  • 1902

    Spring Shop is erected where Innovation Plaza stands today.

  • 1914

    Electrification of Eveleigh Railway Workshops machinery is completed.

  • 1920

    Spring Shop activity peaks at Eveleigh.

  • 1922

    A Davy Press (1,500 ton capacity) is installed, together with a new crane and two boilers and an intensifier to provide steam to drive the compressor which drives the press.

  • 1950

    Spring making activity is at its height at Eveleigh. It manufactures or repairs an average of 33,200 laminated springs and 25,500 coiled springs per year for locomotives, carriages and wagons on the NSW system.

  • 1966

    20 CWT (hundredweight) hammer in the Blacksmith's Shop closes as there is no longer any work for it.

  • 1970

    The Spring Shop relocates to Bay 3, where machinery remains on display today.

  • 1991

    Wrought Artworks recommission blacksmiths' forges and electrically-powered equipment in Bays 1 and 2.