Status message

Locating you...×

Evolving Eveleigh

Browse by

Evolution of Eveleigh - The Railway workshops

Hard to imagine now, but before these rugged industrial edifices of brick and iron arose, this place was tranquil sandhills and wetlands – the Black Wattle Swamp.

Stories from the Paint Shop

Passionate railway aficionados have brought the Paint Shop back to life, restoring Sputniks, Red Rattlers and a 103 year old wooden train carriage.

The Making of the Australian Technology Park

As Eveleigh's industrial working life ended, a new age of activity dawned.
  • 1840

    During the 1840s, government legislation is passed ordering polluting industries to move from the Tank Stream. They move into Redfern and Waterloo, establishing industrial suburbs. Redfern develops terrace housing and villas.

  • 1856

    John Whitton is appointed NSW Railways Engineer-in-Chief.

  • 1871

    The Metropolitan Workshops at Redfern Railway Yard are extended and planning for Eveleigh Railway Workshops commences.

  • 1875

    The Eveleigh site is chosen for railway workshops development.

  • 1882

    During 1882 to 1887 the principal workshops are built at Eveleigh.

  • 1882

    Eveleigh Railway Workshops building program commences.

  • 1887

    Locomotive Workshops are completed.

  • 1887

    Carriage Workshops completed.

  • 1887

    Manager’s Office completed.

  • 1887

    Paint Shop completed.

Pages